Area of Concentration: Sports Training Theory & Application
- Last Updated: Saturday, 30 March 2013 10:55
The Sports Training sector of the Department of Physical Education and Sport science of the Democritus University of Thrace has as its objectives the study, teaching and preparation of students to fully comprehend the role of the coach at all levels (for instance: a) athletics in childhood and adolescence, e.g. sport academies, junior level athletics, etc. and b) elite athletes in all sports). These goals will be attained through thorough understanding and mastering of:
- The kinesiological and anatomical adaptations induced by the training process.
- The importance of psychological factors when designing and applying training programs.
- The learning adaptations induced by the training process.
- Designing training programs for the development of athletes' muscular strength and power.
- Designing training programs for the development of athletes' cardiovascular endurance.
- Designing training programs for the development of athletes' agility.
- The development and evaluation of technical and tactical planning in various sports.
- Designing training programs for children and adolescents by applying specific overload principles and procedures for the development of athletic skills.
- The process of detecting and selecting talented young athletes
Objectives of specializations: Sports Training Theory and Application
Basketball, Volleyball, Team Handball, Soccer, Swimming, Water Polo, Artistic Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Tennis, Badminton, Track and Field Athletics, Skiing, Weightlifting, Shooting, Wrestling, Boxing, Tae-Kwon-Do, Judo
The objective of each specialization is the acquisition of knowledge for performing the technique of the specific sport, the ability to analyze it through the demonstration of elements of biomechanical motion analysis, the ability to detect and correct any errors, the mastering of the methodology of teaching a particular technique, the analysis of basic tactical elements of each sport, the acquisition of knowledge on the development of physical abilities and motor control of the body, the acquisition of knowledge on special issues or topics for each sport such as psychology, nutrition, sport injuries, management of human resources as well as students' practical involvement in teaching and training of the specific sport.